Thursday, November 11, 2010

Thank You For This Day...






First snow of the year! Isn't that always a bit exciting?! I could dread it, but I am relishing it because I am cozy and warm with a pot o' tea brewing. I am thankful for the morning stillness of it all, for our furnace and for our favorite fleece blanket. But, how bitter cold it can be...may something/someone bring warmth to those without homes today.

Maybe my gratitude for the snow is encouraged by the pleasure of taking today off- no email, no phone, no church...today is a day for rest and play!!! When Nate wakes up we are going to sneak away. He has planned a date for the day- to visit a local artisan cheese-making goat farm, the Haystack Mountain Goat Dairy. I am super excited to taste all the yummy samples, to clear my head, and to just be husband and wife with Nate instead of being his colleague pastor. That is our great joy most days but sometimes it gets a little weary.

Gratitude is our exploration in worship this month. 'Praise (in breath)....in all things' (out breath)... was a breath mantra adapted from the words of german poet Rainer Maria Rilke.
When I looked out the window at the snowy rooftops from under my covers this morning, I also recalled this poem by E.E. Cummings:

i thank You God for most this amazing
day for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky; and for everything
which is natural which is infinite which is yes

(I who have died am alive again today,
and this is the sun's birthday; this is the birth
day of life and of love and wings: and of the gay
great happening illimitably earth)

how should tasting touching hearing seeing
breathing any-lifted from the no
of all nothing- human merely being
doubt unimaginable You?

(now the ears of my ears awake and
now the eyes of my eyes are opened)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Awake my love! I am ready for cheese...my boots are by the door!

No comments:

Post a Comment