Saturday, September 25, 2010

blessing upon blessing



Dear people in my life just pulled out of the driveway and are on to their next adventure. I am a little weepy with happy and sentimental tears and thought I would take a few minutes to express my gratitude for the gift of this week.

John and Marianne Fife came all the way from Arizona to spend some time with us in Greeley. What a great week! I worked with John in Tucson in 2003-04 as a Young Adult Volunteer. I served his church, Southside, and worked alongside so many other dearies out in the desert. I lived with 3 ladies and together we built community and were family. I count that experience as a most formative time to sharpen my vocation and teach so much about life- it was such a treasure.

So, I asked John to come out here for two reasons: The official 'excuse' (though definitely valuable), was that I need his help to assist my congregation in our discernment. We are undertaking a five week class that I created to help move our immigrants' rights partnership forward. Very serious repression of our immigrant brothers and sisters is happening in our community. I organized 4 speaking engagements for John to do what he does- to inspire and equip us to respond to God's call to reflect God's love and justice. In each venue, I loved to see people's faces light up- light up with new found energy, or a look of serious contemplation, or even looks of challenge and unease at new information. John has a great ability to teach and motivate and to meet people where they are.

The second reason was that I was eager to introduce my mentor to my church. I equally wanted my church to meet the man whose influence has made me a better pastor and has made me their pastor. Their mutual meeting was important to me. I wanted John to be proud of our place in life and I wanted my church to see that I wouldn't be half the pastor I am without John's shepherding.

All of it worked out so wonderfully. Our relationship is just Spirit filled. Do you have people in your life whose presence just lifts you up so much- so much that you receive the extra boost and dose of strength you need to keep on being the kind of person you want to be??? They are like that for me.

The unintended parts of the trip were maybe the best. We enjoyed many morning coffees, shared meals (Nate's homemade pumpkin pancakes!), and even a drive to RMNP to see the elk. During these private moments with the four of us Nate and I were uplifted and encouraged by John and Marianne's storytelling and our sharing together. They were able to stay in our new home and meet our new community. They assured me as I babbled on way too much about my insecurities in life and ministry! They reflected a lot on their marriage (almost 47 years)and their family life as they so confidently modeled for us how being family bears, sustains and works through what life brings our way. It made me wonder- wow, can I ever be so comfortable in my own skin, do so much good and have so much fun as they have in life!?

I am just so thankful that the marvelous chapter of my life that was written in 2003 continues to grow. More entries over the years have been added as their presence in my life reappears and I am confident more pages will be written. We shall meet again. Hopefully next time we will meet at home in the desert. For now, I do not need to wonder what that feeling inside of me is...I sense so deeply that this is what profound gratitude feels like.

No comments:

Post a Comment